GARDENING INFO FROM DOUG – Our Lawn Care Season is Coming
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT ESTABLISHING A GOOD, HEALTHY LAWN
Knowledge is the key to success with almost anything and this is certainly true with lawn care here in Central Virginia. Yes, it is only early July but now is the best time to put your game plan together as to what you need to be doing in order to establish a good-looking lawn.
Before I share with you some tips, just know that producing quality lawns in Virginia can be challenging. Virginia is located in what is known as the transition zone for turfgrasses. We are in this transition area because both cool-season and warm-season grasses can grow in our area.
Most people have the cool season fescue lawns because cool-season grasses grow well here because they are adapted to cold winters. Tall fescue is especially suited for our transition zone because of our high heat in the summer and tall fescue is somewhat drought tolerant.
AS OF JULY 1 OUR SOIL TEMPERATURE IS 80 degrees
HERE ARE SOME LAWN CARE THOUGHTS AND TIPS
- SOIL TEST – Do you know the soil pH and nutrient needs of your lawn? If not, then I can’t stress enough the need to have a soil test done now.
- The ideal soil pH for lawns is between 6.2 and 6.5. You can adjust the pH by adding lime (to raise pH) or sulfur (to lower pH). A soil test will give you the information needed.
- AERATION – Anytime between now and September is a good time to do core aeration of the lawn. Core aeration is one that removes soil plugs and deposits them on the lawn surface. Core aeration will loosen the compaction of the soil, will allow oxygen to get into the soil, and these small holes can fill up with organic matter when you do seed. The best time to seed the lawn using tall fescue is anytime between September 1st and October 15th. You want to get seeding done before leaves start falling.
- The most important step for the homeowner is selecting the proper type of grass seed. And, choose a good-quality seed that has little to no weed seed in the bag. So, you want as pure grass seed as possible.
- Now is NOT the time to be using weed-killing products on the lawn. You can not seed the lawn and fight weeds at the same time. So, concentrate your lawn care program on seeding and fertilizing starting in September. The right time to use any herbicides will be starting in November and through the spring.
I am going to stop here. I think I gave you enough information to digest and think about. My main goal is to get you thinking now about how to strategize the upcoming lawn care season that is fast approaching. Come see us if you have any further questions. We are here to help!
PLANT A LITTLE HAPPINESS!!!!!!!!!!!
To read more from Doug, visit our blog