GARDEN TIME with DOUG – September Gardening Chores
SEPTEMBER OFFICIALLY KICKS OFF THE “FALL IS FOR PLANTING” SEASON
From a meteorological and a green industry standpoint, September 1 marks the beginning of the fall season. Fall is officially here on Monday, September 23.
There is so much going on with gardening now that September is here. I am glad that September is here and that the weather and heat challenges of August are in our past. I am not one to complain but August was hot and a little dry. It seemed that I was having to water my container gardens and hanging baskets every day.
HERE ARE JUST A FEW GARDENING CHORES THAT WE NEED TO DO THIS MONTH
- Kids are back in school and off to college. This makes it a good time to get back to work in the yard. The perfect window for lawn renovation is now through mid-November. The first step is to do core aeration of the lawn in order to help loosen the compaction of the lawn soil. Follow this task with overseeding the lawn with a good quality grass seed and a starter fertilizer.
- Fall vegetables are here. Now is the time to plant your fall vegetable garden with the cold crop vegetables such as lettuce, spinach, broccoli, cauliflower, kale, etc. these leafy vegetables enjoy the cooler, fall temperatures.
- September is a good month to dig up and divide your perennials – especially daylilies and irises.
- NO PRUNING – do not prune any evergreens or spring-blooming shrubs this time of year. Pruning in September will alert the plant to put out new growth.
- HOUSEPLANTS – Be ready to move all tropical house plants inside before temperatures drop below 50 degrees. FALL GARDENER’S FAIR IS SCHEDULED FOR SATURDAY, SEPTEMBER 21. ONE OF THE FREE SEMINARS WILL BE ON “MOVING HOUSEPLANTS BACK INSIDE”. IT IS FREE SO MARK YOUR CALENDAR AND COME JOIN US.
- Spring flowering bulbs – daffodils, crocus, hyacinth, etc – have arrived. We have a great selection and September through October is a good planting season for these beauties.
Let’s make this fall a successful planting season. The Great Big Greenhouse can be your headquarters for all your plants and plant products not to mention our helpful, knowledgeable staff. Come see us!!!
To read more posts from Doug, visit our blog